Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

I consider myself to be an experienced teacher. I have taught different grade levels, subjects, and at three different schools (if you count student teaching). I find that it's super easy to become set in our ways. We work for several years to find our style of teaching. Can we really learn a new way of teaching?

Learning how to use the Workshop model has been a journey for me. I moved to Texas and this was the way they taught. I'm so thankful that my previous principal gave me a chance and hired me without knowing this method of teaching. I've spent this year really trying to dig in and try to do workshop. I've tried many different things this school year: flexible seating, reader's and writer's notebooks, and mini-lessons to name a few.

Flexible seating has been different for me. I have played around with the style this school year. My poor students have had to become flexible with me as I've reorganized my classroom. I hope by the end of the school year I'll be able to have the room just the way I want it.

I've utilized a writer's notebook this year in a composition book. My reader's notebook was in their binders. Since I've been using OneNote, I may not use the composition books next year. I hope that the technology will be something that will work well with my students. So far, it seems to be. I read a book that showed me how effectively use a reader's notebook. I felt like that was my weakest area. I have some great ideas to implement in the reader's notebook next school year.

Mini-lessons have been my achilles heel. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around them. It's hard to figure out how to stop talking and let the kids take some owndership. I'm so excited to be able to go and observe another teacher's classroom. I will be able to see a lesson from start to finish. Maybe this will help me wrap my mind around the mini-lessons. I'm sure I'm just making it too difficult.

At this point I feel like it's safe to say an old dog can learn new tricks. The old dog might be slow and struggle some, but learning nonetheless. I look forward to reflecting on the visit and gleaning some new knowledge to implement into my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment